IITian who bagged 30 lakhs per annum job offer shares his experience


Last September 2019, the super-app company Gojek decided to visit our campus for our placement drive. They visited on Day 0 of our placement schedule along with other companies namely Amazon, Goldman Sachs.

The entire hiring procedure consisted of 5 rounds. Around a total of 150 students had appeared for the first round which was the online test round.

In this round we were asked 16 questions. These questions required in-depth knowledge in Networking, DBMS, Data-Structures and Algorithms. 
Out of them 12 questions were simple MCQ based questions and the remaining 4 were coding questions. In one of the coding question we had to write a query in order to retrieve a certain information from a given schema. The rest 3 were from Data structures and Algorithms.
The first was a relatively easy question while the second and the third were of higher difficulty level requiring knowledge of complexity and graph theory.

Shortly thereafter the results were announced and around 20 students got shortlisted for the next round which was a code-pairing round.

This round was a completely new concept as no other companies had this round in their hiring procedure and is probably the most unique thing in the whole process.

Here we were given a real-life problem and we had to build a system to take care of this real-life problem. It was kind of like a system-design problem. We had to build a Sandwich vending machine which should support certain functionalities like adding new items in the menu, custom sandwich making, proper handling of the money transactions and a lot more.

  •  Each student was assigned a partner who was an employee of Gojek itself and he sat with us and evaluated our approach and guided us accordingly.
  •  It was an interactive and brainstorming session and we had to code continuously to build the system in 3 hours
  • In the end we had to show our systems and explain our design approach. Hopefully I managed to impress them with my design pattern. The results were declared after 1 hour where 6 students were selected for personal interviews in the next round.

 The next day we had our personal interview sessions. There I was called and it was mainly resume based. I was asked to explain each and every project in details that I had mentioned in my CV.

  • In my relational database project, they tweaked with the schema and then asked me a particular query which I got right in the second chance. 
  • Then they asked me to explain mutex and semaphore, critical section with simple example. 
  • I was asked about virtual memory and what is the virtual memory capacity of a machine with given specifications.

After that they asked for 1 hour about a second project that I had done which was a demand forecasting and profit optimisation problem for an electric vehicle company. 

After that they covered rest of the things in my CV and it was a light chit-chat for a while. Then I was asked to wait for further results.

After that 3 people (2 others and me) got selected for the next round. The other 2 guys had to go through another technical round but I was directly put forward for the HR round.
The HR round was the coolest round of the total session. I was asked what I knew about Gojek and honestly I hadn’t done my homework well. He asked me not to worry and he described me about his company and it was a splendid conversation, I didn’t feel like I was giving an interview. I was asked what I want from a company and then we had a friendly talk. There was no pressure at all.
I was confident about getting selected and hopefully I did get selected. The 2 other guys who had their technical round also got selected after their respective HR rounds.


Checkout similar interviews and other articles here.

People who are interested to submit any type of writing related to technology may contribute to us.Click here to know.

Comments